Dyson didn’t make a cheap adapter that would allow their new floor attachments to fit on my old vacuum… so I made my own out of moldable plastic.
I’m trying out a homemade design for a backpacking stove that combines a few of the best ideas I’ve seen with some solutions for their most common problems.
A friend gave me some pieces of synthetic leather from a couch that he threw out, and I turned it into a set of tool rollups (back in November 2013).
I got my first toolbox roughly 17 years ago, and it’s been a constant struggle to find the right mix of tools and the right container to store them. But for tools with everyday utility, I finally managed to come up with a flexible recipe for a tool container that satisfies me. A set of connected steel tubes keeps my tools vertical so that I don’t need to dig in the bag — each tool is easily visible and accessible.
Today I pushed a borrowed macro lens and extender to its limit, to photograph some tiny pests on the pot of my jade plant.
This crab spider was crawling across my jeans, so I took some practice shots with my borrowed 50mm lens.
I found this dragonfly on the wing in Ithaca, NY.
Wooly Aphids (Eriosomatinae) fly slowly and fairly aimlessly, looking like small tufts of cotton or fur. I never bothered to find out what they looked like while standing still until now. (Match head for comparison.)
I killed a female housefly that hadn’t laid eggs before they hatched. This is the mess it made on my laptop (not counting other smaller piles of maggots that landed elsewhere).
There’s another picture, if you can stomach it.
Read the rest of this entry »