I’m restoring an old Atlas lathe that spent considerable time in a sawdusty basement. Starting with the chuck.
Turns out it’s pretty good underneath.
This is a test grind of a knife blank made from an old automotive spring, done by the person for whom I built the grinder in the first place.
I created a data graphic called The Tierarchy to show the common steps between tying various necktie knots.
I started an infographic about what solvents remove what materials (and what solvents remove which other solvents). There are a few entries for different materials, but it’s a very rough draft at this point.
I’m trying to restore an old Craftsman / Atlas 618 lathe. It has missing, broken, and oddly-deteriorated parts.
If you’re a qualified machinist, you may want to avert your eyes.
This was a full teardown and rebuild of the ShopSmith jigsaw. It looks like a scroll saw, but since it has only a tensioned spring instead of a walking beam (to pull the blade upwards), it’s really just a glorified jigsaw that breaks blades and leaks oil.
There was a lot of rust on the sander that came with the rusty ShopSmith. I fully disassembled and cleaned it.
I recently acquired a “new” ShopSmith – a 1960s-era model that was in rough shape, and more or less “totalled” in terms of how many obscure parts needed replacing. However, it made an excellent donor machine and upgraded or replaced some key parts of my own 1950s-era ShopSmith.
The most useful thing about the old machine was the hinged piece at the end of the stand. I was able to use it to build a motor-servicing stand: a wooden frame to help slide the headstock onto the stand, which would then hold the motor tray. The stand itself allows the headstock casting to be held vertically for easy access to dis-assembly and cleaning.