The flat sanding attachment needs a backing plate, so I’m using an elaborate series of clamps to install it in the proper location.
Now that the design is pretty well settled, it’s time to true up the cheese wheel in-place.
Trouble: against all odds (and after triple-checking literally every other possibility), the wires from the 3-phase motor arrived mis-labeled from the factory. Fortunately, I was able to figure out a way to determine which wire of a 3-phase motor was which.
The new VFD and 1HP motor came in, but I made a mistake about the shaft size and so I don’t have a pulley that will fit. Time to make a pulley so that I can test everything out while waiting for the proper sized pulley to arrive in the mail.
Since it’s difficult to do precision work with wood (i.e., since I’m too lazy to do precision work with wood), I just made everything adjustable. It seems to work just fine, for both the round and flat sanding attachments.
The belt tension is in the rear of the machine.
Testing with actual power.
This is the first test of the placement for the 8″ grinding wheel attachment. By turning the belt by hand, the tracking seems to work.
The pulleys for the work surfaces have arrived, and it’s time to crown them.
Since they’re rubberized, the lathe won’t work for this. Instead, I made up a jig to pass them over the table saw blade at the proper height to completely level off the wheel.