What you choose to do with your own speakers is no business of mine, but for this project I used a set of speakers that had been destroyed by a failing MOSFET in a bass amp. The surge in current had frozen the voice coil solid; the speaker would no longer move.
You can see the remnants of the burnt-out coil wire, because I’ve cut off the diaphragm and spider from this speaker. The magnet was screwed onto the basket, so I removed those as well.
This is the magnet assembly.
You’ll need a heavy hammer (I used a 4-lb mini sledge) and safety gear. Trust me on the safety gear, both your hands and your ears can be damaged by what’s about to happen.
Before starting, notice that the cylinder is very well centered in the hole in the ring.
Holding the magnet assembly by the black magnet itself, give the center cylinder a few good cracks with the hammer.
You’ll know you’re done because the cylinder will no longer be centered. This means you’ve cracked the glue holding it to the magnet.
At this point, only magnetism holds it together and you’ll be able to pry it off.
Prying it off can be more difficult than you think… but keep wedging stuff in there until it separates.
I was left with 3 pieces.
I have no solution for getting the top ring to separate from the magnet. The magnet itself is brittle, so prying doesn’t work (without breakage). I got it by luck.
I decided to cover mine with Plasti-Dip, to strengthen it a bit. It’s a little ugly since the ring is too big to dip.
Watch out! The can is attracted to magnets…
The finished project, on my fridge.